Storing things in a self-storage unit can really help de-clutter a house. This is especially important when your house is up for sale. Realtors will advise you to remove the clutter. But clutter does tend to pile up over time, and removing it has some positive benefits whether we are selling our house or staying in it.
Useful Self Storage Tips and Tricks
- Sort, separate, and deal with the clutter
When you are going through your things to decide what to put in storage, remember to also cull out the:
- Items you will not ever use again that you could sell on eBay or Craigslist
- Things that are still wearable or usable that could be donated to Salvation Army or Goodwill
- Items that are new that you could give away as a gift.
- Create your categories and get things ready to box up
While you will create your own categories, here are a few to get you started:
- Clothing for a different season
- Items you use rarely
- Things you might use often, but have nowhere to store at your home
- Mementoes and things you may want to sort through later.
- Box things up
You can get large boxes from Orchards Iron Gate Self Storage Facility, smaller bankers boxes from office supply stores, and plastic totes from Walmart, Lowe’s and Home Depot.
Create a list detailing everything you put in each box. You can use your tablet to do this and there is even a free list making app for Android tablets as well as an iPad version. If you are not a techie, pencil and paper work well too.
Make a copy of the list for each box and put that paper copy inside the top of the box before you close it. Number each list and put the corresponding number on the sides and top of each box. Store your copy of the list where it is readily accessible for when you need something out of storage. If you computerize your list, you can then (with most programs) do a Control-F to find which box whatever you need is in.
You are now ready to get your storage unit at Orchards Iron Gate Self Storage Facility and borrow their loaner truck to move your things into your unit.
Vancouver, WA 98662