Moving your personal items into a storage facility can be a stressful process. This is especially true if you are handling fragile items. Certainly, the absolute last thing you want is to have something break while moving it. If you are thinking about putting your belongings in storage in Vancouver, Washington, please consider the following advice for packing your fragile items.
You Need the Right Supplies
It is always best to acquire the right supplies before packing any items for storage. It is particularly critical that you have the appropriate packing supplies if you are storing something breakable. Specifically, you will likely need:
- High quality boxes in several different sizes;
- Strong packaging tape;
- Protective packing paper;
- Bubble wrap;
- Cardboard; and
- Supplies for labelling your boxes.
Avoid Using ‘Makeshift’ Supplies
In order to ensure the protection of your fragile goods, you should avoid using supplies that are not truly meant for packing. For example, this means that you should acquire bubble wrap and packing paper to protect items. You should avoid wrapping anything in a towel, a blanket, paper towels, or even newspaper. While it can be tempting to pack your items using things that you already have around the house, ultimately, it is best to avoid using anything that is not designed to protect fragile items.
Plan Ahead and Take Your Time
One of the biggest mistakes people make is that they leave their storage projects until the very last minute. Doing this type of work the right way will take some upfront time, but it was also save you time in the long run. When you are rushing, that is the time that something fragile is most likely to break or become misplaced. Furthermore, when packing fragile items, labelling should be an important part of your planning process. You must always be sure to clearly label everything. This is true if you are working with a team of movers, or even if you are moving everything by yourself. After all, time will pass and you may eventually forget which boxes contain fragile goods.
Quick Tips For Some Common Fragile Items
- Plates: It is best to wrap each individual plate with bubble wrap or strong packaging paper. Further, plates should always be stacked vertically within a durable box.
- Glassware: Much like plates, glasses should also be wrapped individually before being placed into a box. Also, you should remember that glasses are heavy. When putting multiple glasses into a box, you need to ensure that the box is strong enough to handle the weight of the glasses and that the heaviest glassware is at the bottom of the box.
- Lamps: Whenever possible, a lamp should be stored by itself inside its own box. You should also ensure that the flat side of the lamp is at the bottom of the box.
Do You Need Self Storage Assistance?
At Iron Gate Storage, our experienced professionals are ready to help you. If you are looking for storage space for fragile items in the Vancouver area, our conveniently located Cascade Park storage location, might be the perfect spot for you. Please do not hesitate to contact our team today to learn more about what we can do for you.
Vancouver, WA 98684